Monday, June 7, 2010

Another Step West

Well, this is the beginning of my life as a "blogger", I suppose. I have been using www.havenbarnes.com for the past several years to communicate with family and friends, but I have decided to forgo the cost of maintaining a website and simply do a free blog. I am convinced that the people that actually keep up with my life in this format, don't really care if it's in a website domain or in the blogosphere.
So, here is sit in my rented room in Seattle, WA waiting for my grad program at the Univ. of Washington, Education: Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership, to start. I gave myself some time here in Seattle to get settled, about 14 days. In retrospect, I could have stayed in Colorado a bit longer, but I really didn't want to be rushed when I got here.
The program will take me one year, and is geared to set me forward in the world of athletics, but on the administrative side for a change. I will have 2 months of a very intense class schedule and then will begin internships and rotate them for the remainder of the year. I will graduate the same day that next year's class begins their journey. UW has planned this so that each year's class has an opportunity to meet the class ahead of them and behind them. Networking starts right away, and we all know that's the way to get ahead in this world.
The trip from Colorado was both liberating and depressing all at once. I knew I was doing something great for myself and my future, but was also leaving great people, a wonderful house, fabulous weather, and a beautiful state behind. I plan to be back there as of now, but it's impossible to know what opportunities will come my way in the next year.
My first night I stopped in Rock Springs, WY. Got a cheap little room right off the highway and the went looking for a place that Linus and I could run. Drove out of town a little way and found a huge bluff that ran across the edge of town. I hiked/ran to the top and across it and dropped down the steepest trail I've ever run. Linus was a champ and tagged along about 50 meters behind. It was beautiful at the top and made all the work of getting there worth it.

The second night I drove with the idea that I wanted to make it to Boise, ID. After about 6 hour and 30 minutes of driving, I made it to Boise.

When I arrived, and treated myself to the Double Tree Hotel (although reasonably priced due to the state which contained it),it was a gorgeous afternoon. I immediately took Linus on another run along the river path that encompasses 16 miles of the downtown area. It is a really nice little city, a lot of charm, and even seemed to be up my alley politically (compared to the rest of Idaho, of course) and socially. The people were very friendly, as nearly every cyclist and runner/walker on the trail waved or said hello. After the run I ordered some crabs from Joe's Crab Shack and watched some television while I ate. Linus seemed very content with all the happenings of the trip, not to mention he had three nights to sleep on the bed and not in his crate! I was nervous when I left that he would struggle with the long days in the car, but he couldn't have been more comfortable.

The final night I stopped about 2 hours shy of Seattle, on the East side of Snoqualmie Pass in Ellensburg, WA. This was definitely the least appealing of the places I stayed, but I still managed to find a couple running trails along a river and through a deserted park.

I couldn't believe that on such a nice day, and over a 5-mile stretch, there was only one woman walking her dog. Otherwise, completely empty and deserted. In any other town in the US this area would have been littered with people, dogs, playing children, and all the other outdoorsy activities going on..... strange.
On Thu. morning I woke up and drove the 2 hours over the pass and into the city.

I arrived at my new place, on Evanston Ave, around 10:30am and chatted with the new roommates for a few minutes, and then got to work unpacking.

Obviously with the next year being so up in the air, as far as living situation, moving several times, etc., I did not have much outside of clothing, a computer, television, and two bikes. I did not take me long to get everything out of the car and into the house. During the move I noticed an abandoned van sitting in the street with a bunch of stickers on it. Apparently the police have been called to remove it, but I realized very quickly why it was there when I saw what was written on the license plate.

I am still settling a bit, but I have a pretty good feel for my surroundings. The first two days I was here I drove to campus, rode my bike to campus, and ran to campus, all using different routes.


I know I can get there by bike in less than 20 minutes, so I'm pleased. I have ordered some great rain gear so I will be prepared for that experience when it inevitably arrives.
I have already been in contact with several possibilities for my first internship, and actually my second internship for that matter. I will obviously be keeping everyone in the loop about that process.
I have several photos I will be looking to post, but I have to figure that all out first....
I can assure you that most posts will not be this long, but it's my first one..... c'mon!

9 comments:

  1. Now you'll have to change all your web site paraphernalia to havenbarnes.blogspot.com...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Your blog colors look like Halloween, why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the update! Good luck and I like your sense of adventure and diving right in to something new, I am proud of you friend :)
    Also I think you will quickly enjoy the immense beauty of the Seattle area, it has all that water we've been missing! And way to go Linus keeping up with you all over the country. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi havebutt! It sounds like you had a great road trip to seattle! I'm pleased to hear that you are adjusting well as I'm sure it was difficult for you to leave CO. I can't wait to hear more of your and linus's adventures as the year goes on! Best of luck.

    miss you tons,
    debi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go with the blog. Thanks for keeping us updated. The new beginning sounds like an amazing adventure.

    love,
    tito

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty cool, Haven-boy. Look forward to experiencing some of the adventure through your blog. We'll miss you on our visit to Pikes Peak in August. Maybe we can do seattle later in the year.

    David-boy & Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. GUM says hey. Great blog. Love it all except the black background. Hard to read.
    Great pics, especially of Linus. I guess the house is where you are living and the nice green space in back. Have you run around the lake yet? Thinking of you every day. Love you, GUM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gum, I changed to color and hopefully that makes it easier to read. I was originally trying to stick with the colors from my website, but it's not really that important after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I like your blog! Your house is so cute. I hope Linus is adjusting well!

    ReplyDelete