Monday, January 10, 2011

Let's see, where was I?.....

It's been two months since I last updated and a few things have changed. I finished my internship with the University of Washington Sports Operations and had originally planned on moving to Berkeley, CA to do a similar internship at Cal. I have decided, however, to stay in Seattle and try to make some things happen here. As of today, I have left the house on the hill and moved into an apartment closer to campus and the dog park. I can't give you a full analysis yet as I haven't fully moved in and I'm leaving for a week tomorrow morning.
I'm headed to San Antonio, Texas for the annual NCAA Conference. I will be meeting up with all of my classmates, attending seminars, classes, and doing some networking. Naturally it is unseasonably cold in San Antonio, so it won't be the much-needed break from the cool, wet Seattle winter.

This past weekend I witnessed one of the biggest upsets in NFL playoff history as I attended the Seattle Seahawks/ New Orleans Saints wildcard playoff game. My girlfriend Autumn and I scalped tickets (which turned out to be fake) minutes before kickoff and were let in out of the kindness of a ticket agent's heart. We arrived at our seats and squeezed in as no one was sitting during the game at all. The people we shared our double-sold tickets with were Canadian, and quite friendly (not to mention drunk). They welcomed us into the row and we watched the amazing game unfold. I did not have a particular passion for either team, but the noise in that stadium was something I have never heard. I say this after attending games in Oakland, Baltimore, Philly, and Washington. Nothing has compared to this as far as pure volume is concerned!

Last week I flew to Phoenix, AZ for the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl in which UConn and Oklahoma played. It's the first BCS bowl game the Huskies have qualified for, so it was a great atmoshphere for an up-and-coming college football program. We lost the game, but put up a good fight and had our heads high. About 30 of us met there and partied for two days and then watched the football game. Again, the weather was extraordinarily cold for Arizona, the the Seattle relief was not available, but I managed as I still have some Colorado blood flowing through me.

Starting a new internship with the indoor track and field team at UW. I will be working game-day operations and pre-meet verification of marks and times. The duties will pile up as we go through the next 5 weeks, but that's it for now. My spring quarter internship is still undecided, but I will be sure to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment