Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Closer and closer and closer

Three quarters down, and only one to go before graduation from the University of Washington with a M.Ed. in Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership. What am I going to do with that, you ask? Well, I don't know just yet but hopefully my final internship will help me narrow it down. At the moment it appears I will be assistant with academic support at Seattle University, focusing primarily on men's and women's basketball. More sports could use the help, but in times such as these, the revenue-generating sports must take priority. US does not have football, so basketball it is for now. I'm just happy to have the opportunity to work with some athletes that may be going through the same thing I did int heir collegiate experience.

This past quarter I helped the track and field teams with organization and implementation of their indoor track meets. Unfortunately this did not include any kind of coaching, but I did get to see some fantastic running, jumping, and throwing, as well as catch up with a few old teammates!

I'm living in a new apartment just Northeast of UW. I moved in with my girlfriend, Autumn and we both have our dogs, Maxine and Linus. Things are going well and we've got plans to be here at least through the end of the summer. I miss my friends from Colorado and wish I could spend this summer with them, but we'll see what the future holds me in Colorado.

On the home front, I had a major pipe burst in my basement in Colorado about a month ago. All said and done it was about $9,000 in deconstruction and reconstruction. Luckily homeowners insurance covers that mess. My renter's are moving out at the end of March and the house is going to go without tenants for a bit of time. Hopefully I'll have a few friends going over once in a while to make sure it's still standing. In the process, however, of finding a home for the cat. He has been hanging out in the upstairs bedroom for about months, due to his fear of the visiting dogs, so at least he'll be relieved of that. It may come down to a quick trip back to Colorado to pick him up, however. There is no place for him out here where I'm staying, but maybe I just won't tell my landlords that one! ;-)

I've picked up my running a bit and plan to do a trail running series this summer, with a few other races sprinkled in. There is at least a little bug int he back of my mind that tells me I should run a marathon at the end of this year, maybe in November or so (somewhere warmer, of course!). We'll see how my body holds up since after my first 40 mile week I'm having all kinds of problems with groins, hip flexors, and hamstrings.... I know I'm not THAT old, but c'mon!

Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment