Monday, May 30, 2011

Where Do We Go From Here?

That's the next question in life. Graduation from the University of Washington IAL program is only 19 days away and I'm no closer to having a job than I was when I was four. I'm not concerned, for a multitude of reasons, but it is worth mentioning considering our rental lease is up at the end of November and most people would probably have a relative plan in place. I, however, will most likely make a plan and change it 6 to 7 days before it all happens. That's me.

Atop the "incline" above Manitou Springs
Overlooking Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak
Autumn and I are back, as mid last week, from our 5-day trip to Colorado. It was a scouting mission for potential places to live. We seem to have narrowed the search to 4 states (CO, UT, OR, and WA) and will need to spend a little time in each. This trip started in Fort Collins, move to Boulder, then Vail, a great hot spring site south of Salida, and finally in Manitou Springs. It was a great trip, even if the weather tried to ruin it for us. We were able to see some of our target towns, enjoy some beautiful scenery, relax in some amazing hot springs, raft through the Royal Gorge, and then spend some quality time with great friends.

Our next mission is to take a long weekend to Salt Lake City (as well as Bend and Eugene, OR), see some friends, and explore the lands. I know, I know, you're worried about the political and religious atmospheres in Utah... well, don't. Although I have come to the conclusion that a more liberal and less god-focused town is more up my alley, I have managed to live in some of the most conservative places in the country and survived. Carroll County, MD, Orange County, CA, Lake County, FL, and El Paso County, CO. I've done 'em all as one of the most un-ashamedly liberal humanists you'll ever meet.

The reason behind our selections of possible "homes" is currently based on a plan B (or A, depending on how you look at it). That plan is to open a niche restaurant in a town that needs/wants it. We are currently in the process of putting together a business plan and ironing out some early-stage details. It seems like a great challenge for both of us, and I'm excited to see where we can take it. By the way, if anyone would like to see the business plan (and lend an investment dollar or two), let me know.

Another consideration for me, personally, is providing myself the best route to continue to pursue football officiating as a possible career path. Over the past two seasons I have gained some great experience and met some of the right people to help me along the way. It would be beneficial for me to live in an area that I can officiate as many games as possible, and still maintain connections to people willing to help. I was accepted to a Washington Officials Association camp this summer, but had to turn it down as it directly conflicts with grad school graduation and my family being in town. In the future, I hope to be able to attend these camps to gain knowledge, practice, and connections.

The days or beginning to become more sun-filled around the Pacific Northwest. Last June was a rainy one, but I'm hoping for a bright one this year. Training has been going well as May is now my largest month (in regards to miles) of the year, and I still have one more day! This current week should be my largest as well as I hope to hit 45. All of this is in order to make the rest of the Cougar Mountain Trail Series a little less painful than the first one. I ran the first series race (of the 5-mile variety) back on May 14th. I was under the impression that it would be a local-yocal fun "jogging" series that I could use to enjoy running in the woods. Nope. Very fast men show up to put the hurt on me. I finished 5th overall and 4th in my age group. The rest of the series consists of the same pain-distributors, plus an additional 7 miles, 10 miles, and 13 miles.


Family and friends coming to town in two weeks! Can't wait to see mom, dad, Gum, and Jessa!

1 comment:

  1. Haven! Those are the 4 states that we looked at too, how weird. Except we were focusing on Durango, CO. SLC was gorgeous, I think if I had visited there before our drive out we might have moved there instead... Good luck with the restaurant plan - make it happen!!

    ReplyDelete